4/13/09

Turkey Sausage


I mentioned Di Paolo’s turkey sausage before, but I haven’t yet really put him to work. It comes with the casing either on or off. Since the energy needed to tear a casing off and mush up the shape is minimal compared to that required to fill the casing in the first place, I usually ask for the casing on. Ridiculously, it makes me feel like I am getting more for my money. (And, if you count the casing, I am.) Still, when you slice the uncooked meat, the filmy casing will start to unravel. I just pull it off at this point; the shape holds just fine on its own. Of course, if you know in advance what you are making (rarely my position) and it's, say, lasagna, a ragu or turkey sausage burgers, don't bother with the casing.

The sausage has a versatile flavor (garlic, salt, light fennel), which would work with a range of dishes. It could be used with many Mexican, Middle Eastern and European flavor profiles. It would even be good with brunch; try sautéing it with a sliced apple and serving it with a rosemary omelet.

For dinner, here’s one of my recent experiments:

Nicholas Sausage Medley

Serves Two

1 Tbs olive oil
1/3 link turkey sausage, sliced and dusted with nutmeg and paprika
1 yellow onion - sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup dry white wine
½ teaspoon ground paprika
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
1-2 cups diced bell peppers

Wild rice

Heat pan and add oil. When oil resembles water, add sausage. Brown and remove. Saute onion and garlic in same pan. Add wine and scrape up any brown sausage bits. (There won’t be many if using Di Paola’s meat; it is extraordinarily lean.) Add seasonings and peppers. Cook until peppers release their water and reduce down. Add back sausage. Stir and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments