12/22/09

Thou Shalt Not Kill


"I don't eat living things," says a beige-dressed woman at a holiday party.

"Me neither," I agree. "I like them to be killed first."

Beige Woman turns on her heel in a huff and I am left wondering if she meant she is able to
photosynthesize, that she only consumes air, water and sun.


The next time this little fantasy of mine plays itself out, I will be armed with the Natalie Angier's research from today's NYT.


In a nutshell, she says, plants are living creatures, too. Not only do they grow, react and reproduce, but they are complex creatures that have invested much in their own survival.


Humans with chlorophyll-pigmented skin are saints. The rest of us are murderers.


Happy Holidays!



picture by Eti Swinford via Dreamstime


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments