3/25/09

Parsley's Second Act


My kitchen’s most perishable item is always my most demanding boss. It breathes down my neck, threatening to wilt or rot if I don’t do something already. As nerve-wracking as this can be, at least this manager, perhaps out of desperation, espouses belief in me.

We always seem to have too much fresh parsley. It comes in a big bunch and a few sprigs get used. This has resulted in a house staple: Parsto!

A simple variation on the basil standby, it can be spread on warm bread, mixed with pasta, brushed on large mushrooms before roasting or, my favorite (not only because it gets rid of two perishable items), blended with leftover cooked rice and served as a dip. It also freezes well, so I usually make as much as I can.

Parsley Pesto

1 cup packed fresh parsley
1 shallot (optional)
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbs walnuts
4 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
salt, ground pepper and crushed red pepper to taste

Combine first four ingredients in a food processor. Process until garlic looks like corn meal. Add the liquids and seasonings. Process to mix.

photo by Sefaoncul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments